Thursday, May 3, 2012

Adventures in Baking, part 2

So one week, I bought a clump of bananas. Stupid me didn't realize that when you put bananas on top of a refrigerator, the heat makes them age faster. So I had to find a way to make the remaining three bananas last for a couple days. Enter Banana Bread! Banana bread was a rare treat at my place, but I loved it a lot. However, my mom came over one night and I told her my plan to bake some banana nut bread. I didn't give her enough notice to bring me whatever recipe was at home, so we scoured the internet together to find a recipe that seemed fairly easy enough and what she thought had the right ingredients for a "perfect" banana bread.

After searching through a couple recipes, I found the one on this site, and it was mom-approved.
Part of its appeal was not the need for a mixer, as I don't have a good stand up mixer, just a small hand mixer.

Ingredients
-3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed (you want the bananas to be almost inedible)
-1/3 cup melted butter
-1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
-1 egg, beaten
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-pinch of salt
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Method
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
With a woodens spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla.
Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
Add the flour last, mix.
Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan (I used a loaf pan the next size up).
Bake for 1 hour.
Cool on a rack, remove from pan, and slice to serve.


The problem is that with my oven, it cooks a lot faster than I realized. So while I was trying to make sure the middle of the loaf was fully cooked, the tops and outsides of the loaf got slightly burned. So here is the result on my end:
As you can see, the very end of the bread got burned.
The ends were bad bad bad. But if you cut away the burned parts of the bread, it was PHENOMENAL. Like I said, I wanted banana nut bread, so I added a 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts into the mix. I added them as the very last ingredient, after the flour.

So, like I said, I had never cooked or baked much before, so when I went to pour the mix into the loaf pan, I was very confused as to why my batter looked kind of like extra lumpy cake batter. If you've baked this type of bread before, I'm sure you're probably laughing at me right now. But if you're wanting a pretty easy banana nut bread recipe, definitely try this out.

I'm definitely going to try this again, but in muffin form. And I now know that anytime I am baking, I just need to lower the temperature on my oven about 15-20 degrees. My oven cooks hot for some reason. If you try this out, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an opinion about this post? Vent it here!
Thanks for stopping by, I always appreciate feedback! I hope you have a WONDERFUL day! ♥