Thursday, February 10, 2011

30 Days of Truth: Day 27

Day 27: What's the best thing going for you right now?

It's so hard to pick ONE THING that is the best thing going for you right now. I have been stuck on this truth for quite some time, and I still am not sure what is the best thing going for me.

If I had to just throw something out there, I would say it's being young and having no responsibilities. I will be graduating from college in May, and I don't have a serious boyfriend, I'm not married, and I don't have children. Both of my brothers will have graduated from high school by June. I love my family, I love spending time with them, but they also want me to go out and live and make my own mistakes and do what it is that makes me happy (I'm so blessed to have the family I do!). So basically, I have nothing tying me down once I graduate. Yes, I do want to continue my education and go to nursing school, but that necessarily doesn't have to happen right away.

I applied to Teach for America. The program basically takes college graduates and puts them into lower-income communities all across America and prepare them for teaching to help eliminate the social differences in education. I do not necessarily feel like I am "called" to be a teacher, but I want to be an example to students across the nation that it doesn't matter where you grew up, a higher education IS possible. I grew up in three different low income communities, and here I am about to be a college grad.

Since I have no real responsibilities just yet, I am able to pack up my things and go teach somewhere for a couple years before I begin nursing school. I'm really excited about the possibility, but I'm trying not to get too excited because there is no guarantee I will be chosen for the program.

3 comments:

  1. I think you have some amazing opportunities headed your way!! It will really help that you have nothing tying you down! Go out and LIVE! :-)
    Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this answer!!!
    We are at great points in our lives, I'm glad to see you seizing such a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post- I feel lucky to be in a similar situation where I am in a steady marriage and don't have any kids. Makes it so much easier to focus on goals that way! Teach for America sounds amazing- good for you for going for that!

    ReplyDelete

Have an opinion about this post? Vent it here!
Thanks for stopping by, I always appreciate feedback! I hope you have a WONDERFUL day! ♥