Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thank goodness that holiday is over.

Friends,

I'll be the first to admit that I have some reservations about love. I don't think it's too bad of me to feel this way because I've been hurt in the past, I've been used, I've been cheated on. I know what I want, I know what will make me happy, and I'm not entirely sure that I will find anyone who is willing to go on all these adventures with me. (And if by some chance I do find that person, I'm snatching him up quick.)

I HATE Valentine's Day. Everyone says that just tells the world you're single. So what? I hated it when I wasn't too. My whole thought on it is that if you really care about someone, tell them every day! Take them to a nice dinner or buy them flowers randomly, instead of on a day where everyone in the world is getting flowers and a nice dinner. To me, that's more thoughtful than getting them on Valentine's Day. (And it's quite a bit cheaper as well.)

I know some people love this holiday, a chance to go all out for the one they love. Reading people's updates helped me feel the love they were radiating from this special day. But I just don't like it.

I got 2 valentine's day cards yesterday, and honestly the best one I got was the handmade one. It's very pretty, and to me it's more heartfelt:
This mediocre scan does not give the card justice to how beautiful it really is.

Last night, roommate helped me remember when and why I started hating Valentine's Day.
It's all about expectations.

When I was in elementary and even middle school, everybody got to decorate a box and return home at the end of the day with lots of little cards and candy in tow. Valentine's day is the best ever when you're a kid.

Then in high school, you only got something if your parents, friends, or significant other sent you something. Okay, no big deal.
But my sophomore year changed my view on V-Day. I had my first semi-serious boyfriend on this particular Valentine's Day, and he had a very nice evening planned for us. He was two years older than I was, so he was all about treating me well on this day.

He planned a nicer dinner at an Italian restaurant in the downtown area of his hometown, so that we could get a break from our usual dinner dates. He gave me roses that he picked from the neighbor's rose bushes (which I thought was more thoughtful than anything else).

Little did he know the Italian restaurant had a special menu just for this day, which was SUPER expensive and had things neither of us liked. I asked him if we could leave and just go to "our restaurant" that we ate at every time. After much convincing, he finally consented. But then he didn't talk to me much the rest of the night because he was upset that the evening didn't go as he planned. That alone kind of ruined the night for me. It easily could have been spun into something to laugh about.

Fast forward to V-Day my junior year, and I had been "talking" (what is it with high schoolers and this term?!)  to a boy for about a month or so. I wasn't expecting anything from him, but at the end of the day I got a notice saying I had flowers. I immediately thought my mom and aunts had chipped in to buy me something (why I didn't know). I was happily surprised when I got the two red carnations from him. But then I went to the basketball locker room, and he had also given two other girls the same thing. I still loved my flowers and nurtured them until they died, but the two other girls basically berated the boy for getting all three of us something. It kind of made me feel like I didn't deserve them.

That same boy from junior year was also my "valentine" my senior year, and he wanted to take me out. I refused and basically asked him to take me out to dinner on a different day for two reasons: 1. I hated the holiday, and 2. We both were playing basketball on that day. So we went to our favorite sit-down restaurant (Chili's) a day or two after. It was a nice "Valentine's Day" date, and I enjoyed that more than anything, just because he allowed me to hate the holiday and still did something nice for me :)

So folks, two bad Valentine's Days in a row can cause for any person to become a cynic. That explains my hate for the holiday.

Now St. Patrick's Day? That's my kind of holiday! I'm always Irish for a day... :-D

12 comments:

  1. It's just another day for me to eat good food and tell my fiancee I love him. Nothing different than any other day, other than I avoid all stores that carry giant stuffed animals for the day. :]

    Being Irish for a day is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dropping in to say CONGRATS on being featured today on the FTLOB site!!! (Beautiful blog, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more with your idea that you should tell the people you love that you love them everyday!! How sweet :) I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it :) xoxo your newest follower Hannah

    p.s. Bring on St. Patricks day!! hahah :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get what you mean about Valentine's Day and think sometimes Facebook makes it worse because everyone is sharing their "swag." We celebrate it but keep it pretty low key because it is so close to when we started dating so it has meaning for us as a couple.

    I like your bucket list--there are a few things on there I want to do too, like NYE in NYC and visit every state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, bring on St. Patty's Day!! :)
    Congrats on being featured on FTLOB! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously HATE valentine's day too! We do not celebrate that holiday. And I'm oh so happy and in love and all that good stuff, still I vote NO to that day. I would much rather enjoy my nice surprises throughout the entire year, not just that one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came over from FTLOB and I am so glad I did!
    You have such an amazing blog - got yourself a brand new follower - HA!
    Hugs,
    Chrissy

    http://chrissyinamerica.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the feature over at FTLOB! I don't blame you for hating Valentine's Day - it can get a bit ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Valentines day is just another Hallmark holiday. We ( my hubby and I) don't make a big deal out of it. I appreciate more flowers or a card on a random day like you said.

    Great post!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute blog... so glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just so you know one more time, you rock! Thanks for linking up to the Storytellers Blog Hop girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. sarcasm is alive and well! and so is a loathing of valentine's day. glad you found me, so i could find you! great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Have an opinion about this post? Vent it here!
Thanks for stopping by, I always appreciate feedback! I hope you have a WONDERFUL day! ♥