Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sunday was not so Funday.

Here is a timeline of my Sunday-Tuesday:

  • 12 NOON: My friend Josalyn and I went and ate lunch at a semi fast food Mexican grill called Chipotle.
  • 1:00 p.m.: We headed across the street to campus to go into the gymnasium to the gym.
  • 2:00: Wrestling dual began.
  • 4:00: Wrestling dual ended, my stomach starting feeling funny. I thought this was because I got too hot in the gym after eating Mexican food.
  • 6:15: I had spent the past two hours preparing for my phone interview, and my stomach did not feel much better. I pop in a couple Tums to help ease it to get through my interiew.
  • 6:40: My interview began. Stomach still felt funny so I thought maybe I was more nervous than I realized.
  • 7:01: Phone interview ended. Decided I probably needed to eat.
  • 7:30: I arrived at the apartment where APO was hosting a baked potato dinner, and made myself a baked potato.
  • 8:00: Stomach was feeling worse, so I sat for about 5 more minutes before I left.
  • 8:15/8:20ish: I got home just in time to get sick. There went my dinner. I took some Pepto Bismal for the nauseated feeling.
  • 8:30: saw the PB again.
  • 9:15ish: Josalyn and our house mother put me in the guest room in case I have something contagius. Stomach pain is so bad I can barely stand at this point. Stomach hurts worst on my right side now.
    • House mother and Josalyn look up the symptoms of appendicitis at this point because they are afraid that I might have it.
  • 10:00 I have now called my mother twice, talked with our friend of the family who is a nurse tech, and have had my symptoms googled/webMDed. Friend of the family and Josalyn say I need to go to the hospital and have everything checked out.
  • 10:30: Arrive in the ER
  • 11:30 Have a blood and urine test to make sure there are no bacterial infections in my intestines. At this point, I can only lay down if I'm curled up in the fetal position, and I had my first-ever IV put in.
  • 12:30 a.m. (Monday): Results of blood and urine tests come back okay, am instructed to drink something to prepare for the dye for my CAT scan
  • 1:35 a.m: Went back to take my CAT scan
  • 3:35 a.m.: My ER nurse comes in to ask how my pain is. I let him know it's coming back. He says "It should be because, well she'll tell you, but you have appendicitis." My response: "yayyyyyy."
    • He then left the room and I burst into tears.
    • Doc came in and let me know I have appendicitis, it hasn't ruptured, and the surgeon on call will be doing surgery on me on Monday morning.
    • I called my mother. She woke up my grandmother. I talked to my grandmother on the phone, she told me she would be leaving Tulsa soon.
    • Josalyn tried to call the roommate, but the roommate was conked out. So Josalyn called her roommate and had her wake up mine.
  • 3:40: Chris showed up with a blanket and hot chocolate for Josalyn. He stuck around and lightened the mood by making us laugh. Well I giggled because laughing hurt.
  • 4:15ish: Roommate arrived.
  • 7:30ish: My mimi arrived, just in time for a surgeon to come into my room and inform me that there are no empty beds in the hospital, which is why I am in the ER room still
    • I was asked if I minded being transported by ambulance for free to the Moore center for the surgery.
    • Katy goes back home to get some sleep.
  • 8:45ish: I finally fall asleep
  • 9:30: I get woken up and moved to a gurney to be transported to Moore.
  • 10:00: I arrive in Moore and am taken straight into OR prep room
  • 10:15: I start heading back to the surgery room. I remember being wheeled there, asked to move beds, and to stretch out my arm.
  • 11:30 I wake up from surgery and am about to wet myself. I can't go until I wake up. Finally wake up, and going makes me nauseus.
  • 12 NOON: I get to my room where my Mimi, her sister, my two aunts, my brother Jared, and my uncle Ryan are waiting for me. They head out to get lunch and let me sleep.
  • 2:45: Mimi and her sister get back from lunch. I am told that Jared will be staying the night with me to bring me to Sperry when I am released, since I am not allowed to climb stairs.
  • 4:30: everyone starts heading back home
  • 5:00: I finally decide to eat something
  • 5:30: roommate arrives with Sam, my laptop, and my phone charger.
    • I plug in the phone and it goes crazy (Thank you to everyone who called, texted, and wrote on my facebook wall or tweeted at me!)
    • I continue to eat while they are here
    • The visit until they have to leave around 7:15
  • 8:00: I get a little bit of sleep
  • 9:00: Mom and brother Jacob arrive
    • At some point, the nurse asks me if I want to be taken off my liquid diet. Yes please, as in like 6 hours ago. Jared gets me crackers.
    • They visit until they have to leave around 10 (Jake has school and mom has work on Tuesday
  • 10:15: I fall asleep
  • 10:30: The youth pastor from my church back home and a kid that goes to OU that graduated from my high school stopped by to visit. Jared didn't wake me because I hadn't been sleeping much throughout the day
  • 11:00: I wake up to get vitals checked. I am informed of my visitors.
  • 12:30 a.m. (Tuesday/today): I finally fall back asleep
  • 3:30 a.m.: I am woken up for vitals again
  • 4:00 a.m. I get taken off my electrolyte IV
  • 7:30 I am woken for vitals.
    • I texted my family and friends to let them know about the diet and IV
Now I am just waiting to speak to the surgeon at some point and see when I will be released. I will be going back to Sperry with my brother for the rest of the week while I recover from surgery

See why Sunday was not so Funday??

p.s. here is a silly picture roommate took of me at about 5 in the morning. I said "I'M A MARTIANNNN"


  1. Oh wow! What an "adventure"! Hope you feel better soon! Take good care of yourself and get the rest you need! Hugs xxx

  2. Wow, I do see why Sunday was not so Fun. I'm so thankful you went to the ER and had things checked out. And that you are doing okay now!

  3. Aww Mallori, that sucks but I'm glad they caught it before it bursts as I hear that can be really bad!

    I hope your recovery is as speedy and pain free as possible :)

  4. HOLY GEEZ LADY!!! I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. I had my appendix out about a year ago, and you did the right thing going to the hospital right away. I waited for a few agonizing days until I realized it was not gas, smart. It was super easy to recover from, you will be feeling back to your regular self within a week or two. You had laproscpoic, right!? My thoughts and prayers are with your recovery. Rest up, get some sleep! Big hug for healing over the internet :)

  5. Sunday was def not a funday! I'm so sorry you have been in so much pain and surgery, boo! I hope you have a speedy recovery. There is nothing like being home to have your family take care of you!

  6. YIKES. What a stressful 72-hours! I hope you're feeling better and well on the road to recovery! So glad that you listened to your tummy and checked into the hospital!


  7. AW I didn't know you got to ride in an ambulance!! You have definitely done more things at the hospital than I have now! haha glad you're better, Little! Rest up!

  8. Good luck girl... that is a lot to take on!

    Thanks for reading, I have your button now too. Yours are so cute!

  9. Oh my gosh, your appendix?! Ouch! My husband was having some stomach pains the other day and we thought it might be his appendix, so sorry it really was for you! Hope you feel better- eat lots of icecream;-)

  10. you poor little love!
    sending positive thoughts your way today!


  11. Aw, still remember this! We were scared for you :) No problems since, right?! Hope you are having a great start to the weekend Mal. And thanks for linking up to the Storytellers Blog Hop once again!!


Have an opinion about this post? Vent it here!
Thanks for stopping by, I always appreciate feedback! I hope you have a WONDERFUL day! ♥